A Palm City, Florida, family experienced tragic results when they had their home fumigated by a local pest control company to rid their home of termites. The company sprayed a toxic chemical, sulfuryl fluoride, on August 14 and allegedly told the family it was safe to return home after two days.
Soon after returning home, the whole family started to feel ill. Their son seemed to be experiencing problems speaking and standing, so he was brought in for a medical evaluation. Doctors immediately began to suspect that the 10-year-old boy had been poisoned by the fumigation process.
While the other members of the family soon recovered, the family’s son has been treated in multiple hospitals and still has difficulty speaking. A member of the family told media that the boy has lost most of his motor skills and the ability to move some parts of his body.
The boy appears to have experienced serious brain injury due to the exposure. The Department of Justice and the Florida Department of Agricultural and Consumer Services are investigating the incident. The pest control contractor has been prohibited from conducting fumigations until the investigation is complete.
Dealing with brain damage
Detecting dangerous gasses can be difficult, because many, like the sulfuryl fluoride used for fumigation, have no odor or color. Exposure to chemicals and toxic substances can cause severe brain injuries just as serious as those caused by impact or trauma. Some of the possible long-term effects of brain damage include problems with motor control, learning, cognition and speech.
When a family member suffers a brain injury, they often require around-the-clock care. If someone is responsible for these injuries, it may be possible to hold them accountable under the law. If your family is dealing with a brain injury, speak to the Bradenton personal injury attorneys at the firm of Goldman, Babboni, Fernandez, Murphy & Walsh to learn your rights.