Manatee County is preparing to launch a number of new road construction projects, which means now is a good time to review some safety tips for road construction zones. Chances are you’ll be driving through some highways under construction in the coming years, so it’s important you know how to pass through those construction zones safely.
Here are some tips for you to follow.
- Slow down: Follow the posted speed limit. Prepare to slow down when you see work zones coming up, and do not go beyond the speed limit in that area.
- Follow additional directions: Pay attention to all signage, and if there is anyone providing traffic directions, be respectful of them and follow all the directions they provide.
- Leave space: Don’t drive too close to people in front of you, because you can never be certain that they won’t make any sudden stops. There are a lot of potential hazards that can pop up in work zones, so leave people plenty of room to get through safely.
- Eliminate distractions: You should already be doing everything you can to avoid being distracted while driving anyway, but this is especially important in work zones, where there will be people and equipment moving in ways that you might not be able to predict.
- Be patient: Delays happen. Traffic slows, some vehicles might not be able to immediately proceed through the construction site, and inevitably traffic will get backed up. It does nobody any good for you to start honking your horn, or become aggressive with your driving.
- Plan: If you know where road construction zones are, try to plan your trip so you can avoid them, making whatever adjustments to your schedule are necessary.
For more information about safety in road construction zones, contact a trusted Manatee County personal injury lawyer at Goldman, Babboni, Fernadnez & Walsh.