The aftermath of an accident can be confusing and overwhelming. From medical appointments and recovery to insurance adjusters and paperwork, you’ll have a lot on your plate. Working with a reputable personal injury attorney can often help you recover more compensation than you might get on your own—but how do you know you’ve found the right lawyer?
Here are some questions to ask to find the right fit for you:
- Experience and practice areas: You want an attorney who focuses on personal injury claims and has had experience in the field. Ask how many personal injury cases they’ve handled and what their outcomes were. You should also find out whether they’ve taken cases to trial in the past.
- Additional attorneys: Next, ask whether the attorney you’re consulting will be the one primarily handling your claim. If another attorney will be working on the case, inquire about their focus areas, experience and success.
- Communication style: Find out how the attorney likes to communicate and when you can expect to hear from them, whether that’s periodic updates or only when something happens in the case. You should also ask what happens if the attorney and client disagree on whether to accept a settlement offer or go to trial.
- Fee schedule: How much will these services cost, and how will the firm be paid? Most personal injury attorneys work on contingency, meaning they take a percentage from the settlement or damages awarded. This ensures a client does not have to pay out of pocket at the outset.
- Improving outcomes: What, if anything, can be done to improve your case? Is there any evidence that could help ensure a more favorable outcome? How does the attorney intend to present the case?
- Other options: Finally, ask if the lawyer believes there are other viable options for your claim. Depending on the nature, circumstances and extent of your injuries, you may have more legal options than you assume.
If you’ve been injured in an accident as a result of someone’s negligence or recklessness, contact a trusted Sarasota, FL personal injury lawyer at Goldman, Babboni, Fernandez, Murphy & Walsh today.