Personal Injury and Auto Accident Attorneys Serving Florida
  • RSS Feed
  • Facebook
  • Linked In
  • Twitter
Sarasota, Florida 941-954-1234
Default Banner

Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer

The lawyers of Goldman, Babboni, Fernandez, Murphy & Walsh have more than 100 years of combined Florida legal experience in personal injury, wrongful death and negligence cases. David Goldman, and Michael Babboni have each represented accident victims throughout Florida for over twenty …

Learn More ›

Auto Accidents Blog Post

Responsibility for Reporting Car Accidents in Florida

If you’re ever involved in a car accident in Florida and the crash results in injury, death, vehicle damage, property damage in excess of $500 or any combination of the prior, you are required by law to report the accident to the local police department, if that accident occurred within a municipality in the state.

If the accident did not occur within a municipality, you then must instead report the accident to the office of the county sheriff or to the closest station or office of the Florida Highway Patrol.

The information outlining responsibility for reporting car accidents is provided with great clarity in the Florida Statutes section 316.065.

The old fender bender question

One of the most common questions people have about reporting car accidents is whether they need to report a minor collision, such as a “fender bender” or an accident just involving a few scrapes.

It might be difficult for the average person to determine the cost of damage to a vehicle, so if you’re at all on the fence about whether to call the police it’s best to just do so to be safe.

That being said, there are many instances in which it’s not necessarily to call the police. If no one is injured and the damage to the vehicle is very minor, both parties can exchange information and go about their day without having to wait for the police to come to the scene.

Even if the damage is minor and there are no injuries, though, you still may find it worthwhile to call the police if the other party is hostile or combative.

For more information about situations in which you do or do not need to call the police after an accident, contact an experienced Manatee County personal injury lawyer at Goldman, Babboni, Fernandez & Walsh.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *


In order to help you more quickly, please fill out the quick form and submit.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Contact Form
Goldman, Babboni, Fernandez, Murphy & Walsh
2822 University Parkway
Sarasota, Florida, 34243 USA