When you are on someone else’s property, whether it’s a business, public park or private residence, the property owner has a duty to take reasonable steps to protect you from or notify you of any hazards that exist.
Some of the most common types of injuries suffered in these circumstances stem from slip and fall accidents, which may take place either indoors or outdoors.
Indoor slip and fall accidents typically involve the following factors:
- Slippery floors: Floors that are slick from spills, leaks and cleaning materials are a major cause of slip and fall accidents. These typically occur at restaurants and bars that serve beverages, along with grocery stores.
- Broken stairs: Poorly maintained staircases are a serious safety hazard for both property owners and visitors. Stairs, handrails and navigational signs should be updated and maintained on a regular basis to avoid serious falls.
- Unsafe elevators and escalators: Both elevators and escalators should be regularly checked to ensure proper functioning. Additionally, property owners should make sure that all surfaces are free from any debris or liquid.
Factors commonly involved in outdoor slip and fall accidents include the following:
- Environmental conditions: A property’s walking surfaces can become slick from snow, sleet, rain and ice. Even in sunny Florida, excess rain can make sidewalks and walkways dangerous.
- Parking lot oil: With time, parking lots can collect grease stains from leaking cars. If not properly cleaned on a regular basis, these spills can create slippery surfaces.
- Outdoor walkways: Uneven walking surfaces like sidewalks, driveways and entranceways are a common cause of trips and falls. Property owners should fix these issues as quickly as possible upon their discovery.
If you have been injured in a slip and fall or trip and fall accident and would like more information about appropriate next steps, speak with a skilled Bradenton premises liability lawyer at Goldman Babboni Fernandez & Walsh.