Personal Injury and Auto Accident Attorneys Serving Florida
  • RSS Feed
  • Facebook
  • Linked In
  • Twitter
Sarasota, Florida 941-954-1234
Default Banner

Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer

The lawyers of Goldman, Babboni, Fernandez, Murphy & Walsh have more than 100 years of combined Florida legal experience in personal injury, wrongful death and negligence cases. David Goldman, and Michael Babboni have each represented accident victims throughout Florida for over twenty …

Learn More ›

Auto Accidents Blog Post

How to Work with Your Own Insurance Company After an Accident

In some situations, you may need to file a claim with your own insurance company after a car accident. This is most often the case when you’re involved with an uninsured or underinsured motorist, and the at-fault party is unlikely to be able to cover the costs of treating your injuries or repairing your vehicle.

Most car insurance policies require you to cooperate with the insurance company when you file a claim. However, this does not mean that you must accept whatever the company offers you to settle that claim. You may even work with an attorney to help ensure you receive a fair outcome.

The following are some of your primary responsibilities when filing a claim with your insurance provider:

  • Provide timely notification: Most auto insurance policies require you to notify the insurer of an accident within a certain timeframe—sometimes as little as 30 days. A failure to do so could result in delays to you receiving the compensation you need. It could even lead to a claim denial.
  • Sign a medical record release authorization: If you have suffered injuries and have visited a doctor, you will need to provide your insurance provider with a signed authorization to release your medical records.
  • Release other relevant records: You may also need to provide authorization to your insurer so that it can gain access to your work and income information. This is usually the case if you’re claiming your injuries have left you unable to work.

In addition, your insurance company may request that you undergo an independent medical exam, conducted by a medical professional of the company’s choosing. The insurer should agree to pay for this exam beforehand. You only have to undergo an exam focused on the exact injuries you sustained in the accident.

If you need to file a claim with your own insurance company after a car accident, you need to make sure you’re receiving fair treatment and just compensation. For further guidance, work with an experienced Bradenton personal injury attorney at Goldman, Babboni, Fernandez, Murphy & Walsh.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *


In order to help you more quickly, please fill out the quick form and submit.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Contact Form
Goldman, Babboni, Fernandez, Murphy & Walsh
2822 University Parkway
Sarasota, Florida, 34243 USA