A man from Hawthorne, Florida, has died from injuries suffered from faulty fireworks on the Fourth of July. The 42-year-old man was airlifted to UF Health Shands Hospital after suffering his injuries, but was unable to recover.
According to deputies from Alachua County, the man had been attempting to set off large, mortar-style fireworks through a PVC pipe he had anchored to the ground in an open field. However, the fireworks malfunctioned after they were lit, exploding out the side of the pipe instead and causing traumatic injuries to the man’s chest and face. Family members called 911 after they heard the explosion and were unable to find him. Once they did, they attempted to perform CPR until medical responders arrived.
The helicopter was deemed necessary because the severity of the man’s injuries. The Florida Fire Marshal’s office is investigating the accident.
Fireworks are risky
Any fireworks that are shot into the air are illegal in Florida unless they are used for legal purposes such as agriculture. Anyone who buys fireworks must sign a waiver indicating his or her understanding of the responsibility that comes along with the purchase.
Law enforcement officials said the case is a sad reminder that fireworks are dangerous for all people, no matter how many times they have used them in the past. They said this particular explosion had such force that anyone standing near the man could also easily have been killed or injured.
If you purchase and use fireworks, you alone are liable for any injuries caused by them. Stay safe and familiarize yourself with firework laws and safety issues in Florida. You will be glad you did.
To learn more about what you should do after suffering an injury due to someone else’s negligence, meet with an experienced Bradenton attorney at Goldman, Babboni, Fernandez, Murphy & Walsh.