A bicyclist involved in a traffic accident might face different challenges than victims in other auto accident cases when it comes time to file an insurance claim or a personal injury lawsuit. It’s not uncommon for the general public and insurance adjusters to have double standards when it comes to how the laws apply to the riders of bikes and motorcycles.
There are, however, a number of ways you can help your case if you ever find yourself in a situation where you’re involved in some sort of injury claim as a bicyclist. These include the following:
- Special training: If you have ever completed specific types of motorcycle or bicycle safety training, you should let your insurance adjuster know.
- Amount of time you’ve been riding: The fact that you have been riding for years and have never before had an accident can help you out in your case. You should also consider the amount of time you’ve been riding that particular type of bike, the amount of days per year you ride your bike, how often you ride that particular route and other information. The point is to show that you are regularly a safe and responsible rider.
- How you ride: Your type of riding is important as well. If you were injured on a city street, you should point out that you have a significant amount of experience in riding the city. Also consider whether you are typically riding for pleasure or for commuting purposes.
- Weather: Weather can certainly be a factor in bicycle accidents. Describe how the weather was on the day of your accident.
- Familiarity of the roadway: Again, if you ride a particular route over and over again, you are going to be familiar with all the traffic signals, the amount of traffic on the road at certain times and the potential hazards you face.
- Protective clothing: Having helmets and any other protective clothing also serves to make you look like a responsible rider. Be sure to make clear the precautions you took before hitting the road that day.
If you have been seriously injured in a Florida bike accident, you may have legal options for seeking compensation. Learn more by speaking with an experienced personal injury attorney at Goldman Babboni Fernandez & Walsh in Bradenton, Florida.