Whiplash is one of the injuries most commonly associated with car accidents. It is difficult to predict what insurance companies will offer in a settlement for whiplash, as the injury can vary greatly in terms of severity and obviousness. Common examples of and terms for whiplash injuries include:
- Cervical hyperextensions
- Soft tissue injuries to the neck
- Neck strains or sprains
- Cervical sprains
- Neck flexion-extension injury
In many cases, whiplash injuries are due to sudden stops or sudden forward-backward pressure placed on the neck. The sudden collisions of car accidents make for a higher likelihood of whiplash occurring. The impact causes the head to quickly snap forward and backward, even if the collision did not happen at a high rate of speed.
These types of injuries might not be immediately evident. The adrenaline and endorphins that kick in after a car accident could mask the symptoms of a soft tissue injury for hours to days or even weeks afterward. Common symptoms include headaches, stiffness, pain, dizziness and balance problems.
Key factors in your settlement value
The following are a few of the factors an insurance company will consider when determining the value of an injury settlement:
- Severity: Additional complications, such as lacerations, broken bones or contusions will make the settlement worth more than a simple soft-tissue injury.
- Scope of treatment: If you needed multiple trips to doctors or specialists and/or therapists due to the injury, you will likely receive a larger settlement than if you just had a single trip to the emergency room.
- Prospects: If the effects of your injuries will be long lasting or permanent, your case will be worth more.
- Impact: If the injuries drastically affect your daily life, your case may be worth more.
- Fault: If it was obvious the other driver was at fault, it will be more likely you will receive a favorable settlement than had you shared some of the fault or had evidence not been readily available.
To learn more about your options when negotiating a settlement after a serious crash, contact a dedicated Bradenton car accident lawyer with Goldman Babboni Fernandez & Walsh.