Personal Injury and Auto Accident Attorneys Serving Florida
  • RSS Feed
  • Facebook
  • Linked In
  • Twitter
Sarasota, Florida 941-954-1234
Default Banner

Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer

The lawyers of Goldman, Babboni, Fernandez, Murphy & Walsh have more than 100 years of combined Florida legal experience in personal injury, wrongful death and negligence cases. David Goldman, and Michael Babboni have each represented accident victims throughout Florida for over twenty …

Learn More ›

Personal Injury Blog Post

Can You Sue a Municipality for a Slip and Fall Accident?

If you suffer a slip and fall injury on properly that is owned by a municipality, you do have the right to file a personal injury claim against that municipality, so long as there is negligence on the part of that municipality. There may, however, be some limitations on your right to compensation in such a case.

Here’s an overview of what you should know.

Determining liability

Municipalities can only be held liable for slip and fall accidents on their sidewalks or streets if the municipality was negligent and if that negligence directly resulted in the accident causing your injury.

It is not enough for you to have fallen and been injured on a piece of city-owned property. Even if there was an unsafe condition on the sidewalk or street, that does not automatically make the city liable for any accidents that occur.

For the municipality to be liable, there must have been an unreasonably safe condition present, and you must be able to prove the city either knew about this condition or should reasonably have known about it. This can be a complicated endeavor.


State and local governments are frequently immune from lawsuits for accident liability, but there are circumstances in which they’ve waived that liability. It is important, therefore, that you follow the proper procedure for filing claims with the government agency you believe to be responsible. These procedures will vary from city to city, but in most cases you can expect the following:

  • A very short window of time following the accident to notify the proper department of the municipality of your injury
  • A requirement to submit a written description of your claim including details about the accident
  • A requirement that you issue a request for a specific amount of compensation

For more information about the steps you must take to file a personal injury claim against a municipality, contact an experienced Sarasota, FL slip and fall lawyer at Goldman, Babboni, Fernandez & Walsh.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *


In order to help you more quickly, please fill out the quick form and submit.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Contact Form
Goldman, Babboni, Fernandez, Murphy & Walsh
2822 University Parkway
Sarasota, Florida, 34243 USA