If you’ve driven on any interstate highway, you can never help but note the big rig trucks you happen to share the roads with. We need them to keep the U.S. economy on the move by delivering a myriad of products from factory to store for American consumers. However, we don’t need delivery by irresponsible drivers and poorly maintained vehicles that make it hazardous for us to share the highway.
The Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Division (CVED) of Florida maintains a strong presence on state highways with the goal of improving safety. The CVED monitors commercial vehicles by:
- Operating weigh stations at locations throughout the state to conduct safety checks on trucks and ensure that they meet size and weight requirements.
- Patrolling the roads to enforce traffic regulations and to weigh these trucks on portable scales.
- Investigating truck companies to verify that they are complying with federal standards regarding transportation of hazardous materials.
- Conducting safety checks on new motor carriers within the first 18 months of operation to ensure compliance with all laws and regulations.
- Training local enforcement officers and others involved in commercial vehicle enforcement in understanding the complex regulations.
Even with constant vigilance on commercial vehicles by state police, many truck accidents occur and result in serious injury or death to other motorists. If you’ve been hurt in an incident with a big rig, contact an experienced Sarasota trucking accident attorney for help. He or she knows the questions to ask and the action to take to ensure that your rights are protected. Call for a consultation today.