In April a tragic accident on I-95 in Riviera Beach near West Palm Beach killed five young people including a 14-year-old girl. The accident occurred around midnight when 21 year old Jabari Kemp ran a red light and sped off an exit to the expressway in his 2008 Mercedes, crashing into a 1994 Lexus killing all five people aboard. The oldest victim was only 22 and the youngest was 14. Kemp was hospitalized with serious injuries.
Speeding causes traffic accidents
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) speeding is the third leading cause of all motor vehicle accidents and causes about a third of all fatal accidents. However, many do not appreciate the danger of speeding which includes:
- Reducing your reaction time and the reaction time of other motorists
- Causing your vehicle to spin and swerve out of control
- Exacerbating the force of an impact
- Increasing the likelihood of multiple impacts
- Possibly causing the ejection of the vehicle’s occupants from the sudden impact
Speeding may not only get you a traffic ticket and points on your license—it can get you killed. Some common types of traffic accidents where speeding is often a leading factor includes:
- Speeding through an intersection to beat a red light
- Speeding to pass trucks or other slower moving vehicles
- Speeding on a highway in light traffic
- Taking a turn too fast and striking a pedestrian
When an accident is caused by vehicle that was speeding, the driver often denies it. It may take a skilled Florida car accident attorney to prove the other car was speeding by analyzing the damage to the vehicles, skid marks and cross examining the other driver.